Makalu Expedition 2014 – toppstøtet er i gang!

En god bit in i oktober – og mye har skjedd på Ekspedisjonen til Makalu!
Her kommer litt oppdateringer fra Madison Mountaineering:

«7th October 2014
After moving base camp 5.5 miles and 3,100 vertical feet up the Barun glacier and then climbing up to Camp 1 at 20,100 ft. on the Makalu standard North West route, today the team established Camp 2 at 21,210 ft. Garrett called in the following dispatch via satellite phone.
Hi, this is Garrett Madison calling in for the Madison Mountaineering Makalu expedition. Today is Tuesday October 7th. It’s 6:30pm and we are tucked in up at our Camp 2 on Makalu. Beautiful day climbing up from Camp 1 to Camp 2! We had clear skies. We could see for miles and miles in every direction and we are the only ones up here right now. Here’s a few down at Camp 1. But great to be up here on the mountain having a fantastic time. We are going to climb up towards Camp 3 tomorrow, probably come back down to this camp and then head down the following day. Everything’s going great and we’ll check in soon.»

DSC_1568-1024x682

Og så har de kommet seg tilbake til Base Camp for å planglegge turen videre – her er en oppdatering fra dem derifra:

«11th October 2014
After a few nights up high on Makalu at elevations of approximately 21,000′ we are now back in base camp relaxing and enjoying the comforts of our camp. We accomplished our goal of stocking camps with gear and food, as well as acclimatizing to the higher altitudes.
We experienced perfect weather thus far, but we hear from our forecasting service that the weather is about to change. Apparently a storm is brewing in the bay of Bengal, and is moving north towards us, reaching our area on October 14th. We could have up to 12 inches of snow per day during this time. We are crossing our fingers and hoping a strong wind will appear and blow this low pressure system off track before it reaches us. The benefit of this storm is that it may push the jet stream (high winds), currently over the summit preventing a summit bid, north away from the mountain so that we have calm conditions for an extended period.
Our plan will be to rest a few days in base camp and see what happens…»

I Base Camp ble de fast noen dager i vente på godt vær…

«15th October 2014
Greetings from Makalu base camp!
The forecasted storm came and deposited about 30 centimeters of new snow in our base camp.
Currently the winds are still very high, we hope they will drop in a few days. We are waiting patiently here in base camp, enjoying the clear blue sky and sunshine during the day, and if the weather cooperates soon we will make our summit push.
Everything is good here, as we have plenty of nice food, books, movies and some very friendly Slovenian climbers to share the time with.
We will check in again soon,

Garrett Madison»

Så ENDELIG har det fått et værvindu – og igår startet de selve toppstøtet!

«18th October 2014
Here we go! The summit push is on! We spoke with Garrett a little while ago from Makalu base camp. According the tracking map, the team has just left base camp and is heading up to Camp 1 (6150m / 20,177ft.). Weather and conditions pending, the rough target for summit day is currently October 24th. Follow along with the team by visiting this dispatch page and monitor the real-time RainOn tracking. More details as we get them.»

Makalu kart okt 19

Følg med videre på denne spennende ekspedisjonen!

Maria for Vibs
Team Jentesport

Vi setter pris på tilbakemelding. Skriv gjerne en kommentar.